On June 10th, we had a torrential downpour of rain. It started out as a lot of rain, but then the hail came down too. At first, Mason and I were just looking out the window thinking "Wow, this is so cool" then I saw my neighbor out making sure the storm drain was clear in front of our houses as the water began rising. Then I began thinking "Uh oh, this can't be good." Our neighborhood has a long history of flooding from these kinds of storms. Years before we bought it, our house was one of the homes severly flooded from such a storm. The city and the previous home owners had since made many improvements and we haven't had hardly any problems. This storm was nothing I had experienced before. The water went halfway up our front yard and left a lot of debris. The hail that bordered the flood still remained as a reminder the next day. Luckily, we only had a small spot flood from one of our window-wells. I am so amazed at the great neighborhood we live in. As soon as it was apparent that this was one of "those storms" we had neighbors out with their shop-vacs, fans, and sump pumps going from one house to the next to make sure everyone was taken care of (even those who were out of town and got severly flooded were taken care of ). How blessed we feel to live among these wonderful people.
It only took minutes for the water level to get this high!
The water is half way up my front lawn.
My neighbor attempting to drive through the "lake". Anytime anyone drove through, waves would come up on our lawn.
After the water drained, this is what was left - a line of hail that looked like snow.


1 comment:
I am glad you guys were okay. Almost all of our neighbors were flooded that night too. I should have taken pcitures...good thinking.
Post a Comment