The new Oquirrh Mountain temple was built just up the hill from us. We have watched it being built for about 2 years now. We feel so blessed to have this new temple so close to us. Whenever we would drive by, our kids would comment on it. Marissa was able to participate in a church production called "Come to the Mountain of the Lord." It involved dancing and singing by the youth from all of the stakes within the new temple district. There were thousands of youth involved. It was an awesome experience to witness. Our stake was assigned to do a Latin-American dance. My talented neighbor choreographed the whole dance and patiently taught it to 300 youth. The kids practiced, sometimes several times a week, for two months in order to be ready to perform their 2 1/2 min. dance at the Conference Center downtown with President Monson in attendance. Although it was tough on the kids to practice that much, I think their lives were touched by the experiences they shared. We were able to go downtown to actually watch it and I was brought to tears at the dedication of these youth and the culmination of months of practices. I feel like our youth rededicated their lives to the Lord and to going to the temple by their participation in this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
A couple of weeks ago, Dave and I had the opportunity to serve in the new temple open-house. I was an usher and Dave worked as security. It was the first time we had been able to see inside the new temple. Although the actual serving during the open house proved to be a hard task (standing for 4 1/2 hours with no breaks and crazy weather) we were happy to have heeded the call to serve. After my shift ended and I was driving to pick up the kids, there was the most gorgeous rainbow I have seen in my life right in the middle of the valley. It was so vibrant that you could actually see all the colors. I was in awe and I called Dave who was still serving to go up and see it. I felt like the Lord was just enhancing the beauty of his home with this reminder from nature.
Last week, we took the kids through the temple and I can honestly say it is the most beautiful temple I have seen (I might be a little biased though.) The thing I loved the most was the open feeling of it. There is natural light in all of the ordinance rooms which is unique. The kids really enjoyed it as well and felt the Spirit there (the yummy cookies at the end helped too.).
Notice the Angel Moroni - he was struck by lightening a few weeks ago and his arm, horn, and face were blackened.
We feel so blessed to have "our" temple so close.


3 comments:
Darci,
I love the all the updates. I can not believe how much your kids have changed since I have since them! Cute family! We want to go to the Open House for the Temple my kids loved having the Draper Temple so close. What a blessing it is for them to have their "own" Temple.
So fun to see you when we were in UT last month... we loved your temple too:) good job on your cute blog. keep it up- I love catching up with your life a little. you inspire me to blog a little more... maybe.
sorry that last comment was from me,steph, not trey... i was on the wrong account i guess.
Post a Comment